Terre di Canossa 2015
16 — 19 Apr 2015 starting from Salsomaggiore Terme, Italy
16-19 April 2015: these are the unmissable dates of the fifth edition of“Terre di Canossa”, which will once again take place on the charming roads of Emilia, Liguria and Tuscany with its characteristic mix of sport, passion, tourism, culture, wines, gastronomy and unique evenings, all respecting the environment.
The numbers of the 2015 edition are truly record-breaking:
• 100 crews: the event has sold out before the end of the applications;
• competitors from 16 countries, among which are not only the other European nations, but also distant ones such as the United States, Russia, Japan, Bahamas, India etc.;
• vehicles from 33 different car makers;
• 19 pre-war cars;
• 21 priority drivers (Top and "A”), which confirms the competitive side of the race;
• 80 tough regularity trials along a 620 km long route;
• 300 people involved with the organisation of the race: from the Scuderia Tricolore members to the staff of Canossa Events, the officers, timekeepers, photographers, policemen…;
• the prizes: 4 splendid watches offered by Eberhard, who this year will also reward the winners of the Tricolore Trophy, reserved to the newcomers, and those of the Eberhard Trophy - Forte dei Marmi, which will be dedicated to an awareness campaign and fundraiser to restore the trees uprooted by an incredible tornado a month ago.
A “pink” edition
However, a number in particular stands out from the others: 40% of the participants are women, without the need to introduce female quotas. Terre di Canossa reached its goal: to be a tough race and a pleasant travel experience at the same time, appreciated by the fiercest drivers and by those searching for a special vacation.
A “green” edition
This fifth edition is shaping up to be a great success, and will help the environment with two concrete actions:
• reducing the impact of the event on the environment along the whole chain;
• nullifying the CO2 emissions by compensating them with the planting of new trees;
The organisation has decided to avail itself of the “CarbonZero” project developed by Studio Alfa, certified in compliance with the ISO 14064 international standard, which features active carbon management solutions aimed at reducing the emission of climate-altering gases:
• a careful management approach and the goal of reducing the impact on the environment, also though an accurate choice of the suppliers and services involved with the event on the grounds of their eco-sustainability;
• a quick and complete assessment of the emissions produced by the event;
• a precise evaluation of the natural “compensation” needed to nullify the environmental impact of the race in terms of CO2 emitted, done by planting new trees in the territories were the event is held.
“We must to preserve classic cars just as much as we must protect our planet", Luigi Orlandini, Chairman of the Organising Committee, explains the reasons behind his choice with these words. "It is true that the total emissions of the “true” classic cars, the ones that enthusiasts and collectors love to drive at races and meetings, are completely irrelevant on a planetary scale compared with those produced by transportation, energy and livestock, however we want to do our part in helping the environment: this way, the crews will be able to leave the mark of their tyres on the beautiful roads of Emilia and Tuscany without leaving any on the climate of our wonderful Earth”.
Route and Programme
This year, the race will start from Salsomaggiore Terme, where the 100 beautiful classic cars will meet on Thursday, April 16 to remain on display until Friday morning. The gala soirée will be designed by an authority among the local chefs: Massimo Spigaroli, starred chef, herald par excellence of the cuisine of Parma and undisputed “king” of the culatello.
The first car will start on Friday 17 at 9.00, and afterwards the competitors will embark on a long journey that will bring them to the Varano de’ Melegari Circuit, the castles of the Duchy and Borgotaro and through the Apennines to the Cento Croci Pass. The Ligurian segment of the route will take the crews to the Cinque Terre and inside the Navy Academy, for an interesting visit to the Naval Museum. Leg arrival in Lido di Camaiore for a “Versilian” dinner at Villa Ariston: an old 19th century villa overlooking the sea.
Saturday 18 will be dedicated to the discovery of the western Tuscany and its wonderful cities of art. After leaving the Cittadella del Carnevale of Viareggio, the itinerary will feature impressive locations such as Piazza San Michele and the ancient walls in Lucca, Piazza dei Cavalieri in Pisa, the Certosa di Calci, the splendid Presidential Estate of San Rossore and of course the beautiful Piazza del Duomo in Pietrasanta. Saturday’s highlight will be the most awaited part of the event: the unmissable Beach Party at the Bambaissa in Forte dei Marmi, an unforgettable night on the sea with champagne and live music. On Friday and Saturday the participants will stay at the best five-star hotels of Forte dei Marmi.
Finally, on Sunday 19 the route will twist through the Apuan Alps towards the Garfagnana, and then the competitors will face the tough hairpin turns of the Pradarena Pass, the highest pass open to the vehicles of the Northern Apennines. After a last challenge on the famous Calatrava Bridges, the final arrival will be in Reggio Emilia at 14, where the cars will be displayed in Piazza del Duomo. As usual, the awards ceremony will be held in the historical Sala del Tricolore.
“Today, Terre di Canossa is recognised as a leading event in the industry” says Luigi Orlandini, Chairman of Scuderia Tricolore and founder of Canossa Events. “This means that the participants have appreciated our efforts: our goal is to offer our participants a tough race on the technical side, planned with great care, which also features gastronomical and cultural moments that make it a pleasant experience when the engines are turned off. All this is possible thanks to a passionate and hard-working team, the involvement of excellent partners and above all to the enthusiasm of the participants, who make this event more and more unique and special every year“.
For more info visit www.gpcanossa.it