Stretching along the Neva, the Nevsky suite of rooms of the Winter Palace starts from the Jordan Staircase landing. The Nevsky suite of rooms served as the venue for official ceremonies and court festivities.
Stretching along the Neva, the Nevsky suite of rooms of the Winter Palace starts from the Jordan Staircase landing. It comprises three state rooms: the Antechamber, the Nicholas Hall and the Concert Hall. Designed by Giacomo Quarenghi in the late 18th century, the interiors of the Nevsky suite of rooms were badly damaged by the severe fire of 1837 to be restored by V.P. Stasov in keeping with the prevailing architectural trend of the mid-19th century.
Beyond the Concert Hall is the Malachite Room (architect A.P. Brullov), the doors of which open into the Small Dining-Room and the Blackamoor Dining Room. From the latter one may proceed to the round hall with a domed ceiling called the Rotunda (architect Auguste Montferrand). The Rotunda is located where two buildings adjoin.