Despite the great fire of 1798, XX century Gabrovo has a clearly defined urban appearance. Due to the fact that its population was entirely Bulgarian foreign architectural outlines cannot be found in the town.
The Gabrovo Renaissance house was nice comfortable. Gradually it moved out of the back yard and was built to face the street so that the craftsman could have a direct contact with their clients. In this rush forward the street line was curved into an arc. The streets were narrow, compact and at places the eaves of the houses touched each other. Another characteristic of the houses of that period were the second storey of the houses - considerably large and coming out above the ground floor, thus providing more light and space.
The houses from the Renaissance period - two storeyed, with wood-carving and consoles, with rosettes on the doors and large balconies - show their owners' good financial status and increased self-confidence.
The house of the merchant from Gabrovo Peter Saka was built in 1858 near Baev most (bridge) in Gabrovo. It was reproduced in the museum in 1970. it is an example of Mediterranean influence in architecture - there are many painted columns on the facade, many window - 21, the open balcony turns into a room called "kiosk".