De Primi Fine Arte in Lugano, Switzerland is glad to announce the exhibition dedicated to the mirror paintings of Michelangelo Pistoletto, from 25 october to 23 december 2013. There will be exposed about 15 artworks from 70’s to 90’s.
« When in 1961, on a black background, painted as to become a mirror, I started to paint my face, I saw it coming towards me, detaching itself from the environment where everything moves, and I was shocked by it. I also noticed that I didn’t have to look at myself in the mirror, I could copy myself by looking at me on the canvas » (Pistoletto, Art Renaissance, 1979).
Beyond the bi-dimensional surface, beyond a flat and simple canvas, the mirror reflects and multiplies the world: things, figures, and faces. Beyond Fontana’s cuts and holes, beyond Burri’s combustions and cretto, beyond the sorrow of Pollock’s dripping painting, the idea of Pistoletto’s reflecting surface has opened the way to the prestige of the four dimensions: the flowing of time, the inexorable and mathematical recording of everything passing and flowing by, a surface which is not static anymore, but dramatically and happily dynamic.
Text by Paolo Repetto
Monday - Friday
From 9am to 1pm and from 2pm to 6pm
Saturday by appointment
- Michelangelo Pistoletto, Specchio, 100 x 70 cm, ed di 450
- Michelangelo Pistoletto, La scimmia
- Michelangelo Pistoletto, Cappio, 82.5 x 59.2 cm, ed. di 130
- Michelangelo Pistoletto, Dettaglio di Eva, 1962 – 89, 67 x 79 cm, unique piece
- Michelangelo Pistoletto, Autoritratto, 100 x 70 cm, ed. di 200
- Michelangelo Pistoletto, Persona che guarda lontano