Mark Wolfe Contemporary Art is pleased to present a solo-booth presentation of a new suite of paintings by Oakland, California-based Ryan Martin at VOLTA NY, the annual invitational solo project fair for contemporary art. VOLTA NY is the sister fair of the Armory Show, taking place simultaneously in New York City during “Armory Week,” March 7 through March 10. Martin was selected by the arts and culture editors of The Advocate as a “Best of 2013” visual artist.
A virtuoso painter of the male face and figure Ryan Martin has for the past year been painting multiple face-only portraits of the same model, all 12 x 9 inches, all oil on canvas. Despite the uniformity in size and model identity, each portrait offers its own self-contained world - unique in terms of its concept, composition and execution – presenting a compelling narrative of love, obsession, and shifting personas. At VOLTA NY, Mark Wolfe Contemporary Art will show between 25 and 30 of the portraits at once, together with one or two larger portraits.
Martin lives and works in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he attended the California College of the Arts. He has exhibited widely across the United States, including two solo shows at Mark Wolfe Contemporary.
March 6 from 2pm to 8pm
March 7 & 8 from 11am to 8pm
March 9 from 11am to 6pm
- Ryan Martin, Blue Monday, 12x9 in, oil on canvas, 2013
- Ryan Martin, Learn To Fly, 12x9 in, oil on canvas, 2013
- Ryan Martin, Tangled Up In You, 12x9 in, oil on canvas, 2013
- Ryan Martin, Red Red Red, 12x9 in, oil on canvas, 2013
- Ryan Martin, Where We Land, 12x9 in, oil on canvas, 2013
- Ryan Martin, Midnight City, 12x9 in, oil on canvas, 2013