Jonathan LeVine Gallery is pleased to present Fruit of the Doom, new works by Paris-based artist Ludo in what will be his debut solo exhibition in New York. In conjunction with Fruit of the Doom, Ludo will be creating public street interventions at multiple locations in lower Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Ludo typically works in a limited color palette of black, white and green, evoking the aesthetic of early punk-era graphics. For this exhibition, he has created a series of large-scale works including thirteen paintings on canvas and a resin sculpture measuring six and a half feet tall. The sculpture portrays an oversized bunch of grapes represented in the form of human skulls, and is the artist’s largest sculptural work, to date.
Ludo’s imagery often merges technology with natural elements such as plants or insects. In this exhibition, the artist’s trademark visual puns take the form of produce. His show title Fruit of the Doom, speaks to themes of corporate branding in pop-culture and references GMO engineering in commercial agriculture. The title is also a play on words, with “fruit” referring to the product of mankind. Ludo’s hybridized fruit and vegetable subjects combined with various weaponry and other destructive manmade creations convey an assortment of issues facing contemporary society with dark humor and foreboding undertones.
Ludo was born in 1976 in Paris, France, where he is currently based. In 1998, he received a Sociology degree from Sorbonne University and in 2000, he received a BFA in Graphic Design from Nuova Accademia de Belle Arti (NABA) in Milan, Italy. Known for his paste-ups and billboard culture jamming on the streets of his native France, the artist has also exhibited his work across Europe and the United States. In 2013, he was included in Ex-Situ, a group exhibition at Centre Pompidou in Paris.
Tuesday - Saturday
From 11am to 6pm
- Ludo, Keep Calm and Get High, graphite, oil and spray paint on canvas, 56 x 42 inches (142.24 x 106.68 cm)
- Ludo, Grapes of Wrath, resin and spray paint, 78.75 x 66.88 x 35.38 inches (200 x 170 x 90 cm), 1 in a series of 6
- Ludo, Green Reaper, graphite, oil, spray paint and oil stick on canvas, 78 x 60 inches (198.12 x 152.40 cm)
- Ludo, Strawberry Fields Forever, graphite, oil, spray paint and ink on canvas, 48 x 40 inches (121.92 x 101.60 cm)
- Ludo, Pineapples and Roses, graphite, oil, spray paint and oil stick on canvas, 78 x 58 inches (198.12 x 147.32 cm)
- Ludo, NY Hardcore, graphite, oil, spray paint and oil stick on canvas, 48 x 40 inches (121.92 x 101.60 cm)