Intellectual and politician, a key architect of Polish economic reforms, author of New Pragmatism – original paradigmatic and heterodox theory of economics and economic policy addressing the civilizational challenges and transformation of economic systems.
A university lecturer, researcher and author of numerous academic books and research papers; the most often quoted Polish economist (h-Index 39).
As the Deputy Premier and Minister of Finance in 1994-97, he led Poland into the OECD. Holding the same position in 2002-03, he played a leading role in Poland’s integration with the European Union.
The founder and Director of TIGER – Transformation, Integration and Globalization Economic Research – at the Kozminski University in Warsaw. Member of the European Academy of Arts, Sciences and Humanities, Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and Distinguished Professor of Belt and Road School of Beijing Normal University. Member of the European Academy of Arts, Sciences and Humanities and Doctor Honoris Causa and Honorary Professor of a dozen foreign universities.
Author and editor of 55 books and over 400 articles and research papers, published in 26 languages, including over 200 in English.
Major books in English include:
- China and the Future of Globalization: The Political Economy of China’s Rise, I.B. Tauris 2020.
- Whither the World: The Political Economy of the Future, Palgrave Macmillan 2014.
- Truth, Errors and Lies: Politics and Economics in a Volatile World, Columbia University Press 2011.
- The World Economy and Great Post-Communist Change, Nova Science 2006.
- Globalization and Catching-up In Transition Economies, University of Rochester Press 2002 (published in 12 languages).
- From Shock to Therapy: The Political Economy of Postsocialist Transformation, Oxford University Press 2000.
- Post-Communist Transition: The Thorny Road, the University of Rochester Press 2000.
The international bestseller Truth, Errors, and Lies: Politics and Economics in a Volatile World was nominated for the William Harrington Award “for an outstanding book that demonstrates how scholarship can be used in the struggle for a better world”.
The marathon runner, photographer and globetrotter who’s explored 170 countries and Antarctica. Married, two daughters, he lives at the suburb of Warsaw.