The Soviet Union developed the MiG-15 following World War II and the fighter entered service in 1949. In 1950, the Soviets began production of a version with added capability: the MiG-15bis had a more powerful engine and hydraulically boosted ailerons.
During the Korean War, both versions of the MiG-15 operated extensively against United Nations forces. By 1952, the Soviets provided the MiG-15 (NATO code name “Fagot”) to a number of communist satellite nations, including North Korea.
A defecting North Korean pilot flew an advanced version of the MiG-15 to Kimpo Air Base in South Korea on September 21, 1953. The aircraft provided the NATO forces with important intelligence data. After considerable flight-testing, the United States offered to return the aircraft, but the offer was ignored by North Korea. In November 1957, it was relocated to the National Museum of the United States Air Force where it is available for public viewing.