Luscombe Aircraft Engineering built metal light aircraft from 1933. The “Silvaire” Model 8 was introduced in 1938, but production was interrupted by the Second World War. It was one of the first light aircraft to be built entirely out of aluminum, though ours has acquired some structural duct-tape over the years!
Our Luscombe is a two-seat Model 8A, built in 1946, with an 85 hp Continental engine. It was salvaged in pieces in South America, and was donated to the Museum in 1988.
Restoration work of the structure was carried out by students at Camosun College, under the direction of Bill Lawrie, and it was reassembled by Museum volunteers. The aircraft has been completed in the livery of Bill Sylvester's B.C Airlines Ltd., one of the province's first airlines.