The Art Scholl Chipmunk, serial No. 116-154, was built as a DHC-1 at the de Havilland Canada factory in the Downsview area of Toronto as part of an order by the Canadian Department of National Defence. This particular aircraft was first flown by legendary test pilot George Neal on August 29, 1950, and was earmarked for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) reserve pilots and instructors program, which enabled civilian flying clubs to train pilots. It was registered as CF-CXL and delivered to the Winnipeg Flying Club in October 1950.
With the expiration of the RCAF program in late 1957, the aircraft was placed on the inactive reserve list and placed in storage until offered for sale in June 1961. In October of that year, it was purchased by the Winnipeg Flying Club and later certificated as airworthy. It was sold twice before being purchased by Sabre Industries of Winnipeg, in January 1967, for Robert “Skip” Volk of Aqua Craft Boat Company of Laverne, California.
Skip Volk, a successful boat designer, builder and championship racer, was a friend of well-known aerobatic pilot Art Scholl. Art had introduced Skip to flying, coached him in aerobatics and encouraged him (with a possible Pennzoil sponsorship) to embark upon a career in exhibition flying.
Work to modify the aircraft for exhibition flying was started soon after it arrived from Canada. Modifications are believed to have been done by Roy Sprague of Alcan Aluminum who had worked with Scholl in development of Super Chipmunks N13A and N13Y and Harold Krier’s N6311V. Sprague was assisted by Larry Riggs.