Christmas time is party time. But it’s also the time of year that weight-watchers most dread. Many are scared of tipping the scale. Be scared no more. There’s a friendly treadmill where you can ramp up your workout. At the convenience of your home.
Will you rather suppress your appetite this festive season? I say, don’t be. In the spirit of Christmas, don’t spoil the grace of food and the company of family and good friends. There’s a way to enjoy Christmas parties without having to worry about gaining weight. That is if you’re only diligent at working out.
Yes, working out! On a treadmill. And why do I particularly recommend a treadmill?
A treadmill is one efficient workout equipment you can have at home. You can use it anytime all year round without having to pay a trainer. And without spending extra time for commuting to and from the gym. You don’t have to spend a fortune on a treadmill, too. There are high-performance treadmills in the market that are under $1000. But before you go shopping, let me share some helpful tips.
How to choose the best treadmill
Not all treadmills are the same. And not all users have uniform requirements. Choose a machine that best suits your needs.
User. When contemplating on buying a treadmill, consider the number of users it will have. If you’re buying the machine for yourself alone, you go for one that is appropriate to your own height and weight. But, if you are going to share the treadmill with other members of your household, think of durability. Choose a unit that can accommodate the heavier user among you. It’s inappropriate for a 200-pound person to workout on a machine with a lower capacity. The treadmill will only break down sooner than you think.
Your goals. It’s equally important that you consider what you are going to use the treadmill for. There are units that are meant for dedicated runners. While some treadmill brands target the walkers.
If you are inclined to run, let me suggest which features of a treadmill to look for.
● Buy the unit that provides high speeds. A treadmill that has a speed beginning at 10 miles per hour (16.09 kilometers) is advisable.
● Choose one with an incline that reaches up to 12 degrees. This type will enhance your strength and train you for uphill running.
● If you want, you may consider a treadmill that provides a decline. It simulates an actual downhill run.
● Look for a treadmill that has a detailed console. It should display how far you have run, your pace, speed, and the elapsed time. With these features, you are able to keep track of your goals.
● Make sure that the motor has a horsepower that ranges between 2.5 and 3.0. This will ensure you a smoother and continuous belt motion.
● To maximize your running strides, look for a treadmill with a long conveyor belt and deck. A 58-inch (1.47 meters) long belt or more will provide you enough room for running.
If on the other hand, you are more of a walker, I suggest a treadmill with these features:
● You will do well with a treadmill that has a maximum high speed of 8 miles (12.87 kilometers) per hour. With this machine, you can already walk at a fast pace.
● A firm deck with more cushioning. This simulates outside walking. But if you have back problems, opt for a deck with thick cushioning instead. A deck with more cushioning help ease your body of stress that may be due to a firm deck.
● A treadmill with a motor of between 1.5 and 2.0 horsepower is enough for you.
● When it comes to the deck length, choose one with a minimum length of 54 inches (1.37 meters). You will also be comfortable working on the deck with a minimum width of 18 inches (45.72 centimetres).
Manual or motorized
A manual treadmill is a lot cheaper than its motorized counterpart. But it also has many disadvantages. So, it would be unwise to be using a unit that becomes dysfunctional after a few series of workouts. Don’t worry much about spending a fortune on a motorized treadmill, though. There are very good motorized models that are reasonably priced.
Folding or non-folding?
Most treadmill users I know, including myself, just leave the machine unfolded. (I find it time-consuming and inconvenient to be folding and unfolding each time I use it). But then, again, you have to consider your space at home. Will it be easy for you to move around the house if it is unfolded?
Anyway, there are models that provide ease of folding and unfolding. Most, if not all, of the manufacturers, are keen about the convenience of use. They employ state-of-the-art technology to make storage and movement of the unit easy. Nevertheless, when shopping for a treadmill, look for a stable unit that fits into your space in either condition.
Test the treadmill
Visit a treadmill shop and check for yourself the different models. Be keen on these issues:
Stability. Make sure that the machine does not shake or jerk.
Safety features. Check the handrails. These should be strong enough to provide you with the support you need. The width and length of the belt should provide enough space for a comfortable stride.
Other features. Depending on your needs, you can inquire and check which model suits you best. Many of the treadmill models feature an easy switch in speed, heart rate monitor, or incline and decline program. You may also be interested in a model that has a preset and program-enabled workouts. Check also if the unit has a water bottle holder. So, it would be easy for you to reach out for a drink when you need to rehydrate.
Warranty. Opt for a treadmill that offers the longest warranty. Make sure that the warranty includes the belt, deck, motor, and electronics.
Most important of all, wear your workout shoes and clothes when you try a treadmill. The purpose of which is to acclimatize yourself with the unit.
As I’ve said earlier, you don’t have to shell out a fortune to buy a high-quality treadmill. Do your window shopping first and compare prices from different sources and models. Prices offered online, however, are cheaper than those in the actual fitness shop.
If you opt to buy online, you still have to first visit a fitness shop for the machine test. So that when you place your order, you already know exactly what you want to have.
And, now that you got the idea, go hop from one Christmas party to another. Without guilt of gaining weight! Enjoy the holiday bonding with family and friends! And have a happy workout, too!